ASD Costa Rica is involved in several activities related to the cultivation of oil palm, among which stand out the production and commercialization of seed varieties and clones, research, advising on nurseries and young plantations, and other activities such as training of personnel of other companies and organizations involved in this industry. The most important activity has been the course for agronomists and professionals with related careers, which can be taught in Costa Rica or abroad. ASD also offers special courses for technicians and staff with different academic levels, according to client needs.
Training course in Costa Rica
This activity was started in 1977 and to date the courses has been given on 32 occasions with the participation of more than 1100 professionals from 25 countries in the Americas, Asia and Africa. The course is taught at the company's facilities in Costa Rica in Spanish and English versions and it lasts 2 to 3 weeks. The duration of the training courses given abroad is variable, depending on the needs of the clients, but the agenda is similar to that of the courses given in Costa Rica, which is as follows:
- Morphology and growth.
- Genetic improvement.
- Propagation by tissue culture (clones).
- Seed production and processing.
- Nursery design, establishment and management.
- Environmental requirements; climate and soils and their management.
- Water management (irrigation and drainage).
- Land preparation and roadway network.
- Planting and maintenance of young palms.
- Nutrition and fertilization.
- Weed control and cover plant establishment and management.
- Integrated pest and disease management.
- Statistics applied to the plantations management and research.
- Harvesting, pruning and quality control.
- Fruit collection and transport.
- Oil extraction plants and effluent management.
- Expectations of the vegetable oil business worldwide.
- Management aspects of an oil palm plantation.